2.08.2008

DeafRead, take a stand!!

Before I begin, I want to announce a one-stop center for people who are upset with the nosedive that DeafRead has taken. You may leave comments here, so the editors can go to one place to hear your/our collective voice instead of going all over the Deaf blog-o-sphere.

I'm upset for many reasons. But right now I'm upset because I want to blog about a few internal community issues, and I feel muzzled. I feel like I need to be careful because I don't want to alienate hearing parents. We're ALREADY doing more than enough damage control, no thanks to AGB, AVI, Cochlear Americas, and other for-profit corporations scaring parents by telling them that being deaf is isolating, it's not normal, and that sound is a freaking miracle, for fuck's sake. I don't want to have to do even more by airing community issues out in public. What happened to our safe zone? Our ONLY safe zone on the Internet?

I am completely fed up with DeafRead allowing anything under the sun (and moon!) to invade its hallowed portals. I'm sympathetic to Tayler Mayer, because anyone with half a brain can tell that starting and operating DeafRead has to be a huge task. I have to believe that the only people that would've done such a thankless job have to be community-oriented. He, Jared Evans, and the Human Editors are to be commended for taking on this responsibility. All the personal attacks are completely uncalled for. Before I continue, THANK YOU to Tayler, Jared, and the Human Editors!

But I am going to freely criticize their choices. Tayler and Jared, you have got to take a stand. You just have to. NAD did. Why can't you? People are talking about how bad it's gotten and encouraging others to stop reading. I'm about to stop reading, and I'm not alone. I've already set up my RSS feed to go directly to blogs I enjoy and I'm very close to deleting DeafRead's RSS feed. It is NAUSEATING to have to read an endless parade of propaganda about so-called "success stories" and more. Why should stories like "Deafness Sucks," "Deaf Militants," and "New Processor, New Places, and New Sounds" be on DeafRead's front page? Why isn't that in Extra? DeafRead needs to STOP pandering to the lowest common denominator and whoring itself at the expense of being a true cultural center, representative of an organic, beautiful community. Close those legs, DeafRead, and be more selective of what goes on the main page!

I'll allow comments this time, but only those who want DeafRead to go back to being Deaf-centered. And I will not tolerate any personal attacks against the founders, editors, nor any individuals.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you brought up this issue about DeafRead.

We need to respect Deaf people's only source blogsphere in the world and not be contaminated with others that have no purpose being in DeafRead to be inspired.

RLM said...

I am with you all the way.

That would be real wise for the DeafRead to remain netural on the hot potatoes issues.

Jared Evans already expressed his concerns about the AgBAD tactics on his own blog.

The DeafRead editors is really walking on the tight rope. They have to provide the right to the freedom of expression and the right to assembly in electronic forum, etc.

We could learn many things like keeping our own so-called enemy closer to ourselves and know what they are up to. Smile

Robert L. Mason (RLM)
RLMDEAF blog

Dianrez said...

DeafRead has repeatedly stated that they are a neutral aggregator and that all Deaf-relevant viewpoints are welcome.

However, like newspapers, DeafRead editors could express opinions. They might do so on their personal blogs, or on a separate editorial page.

I urge the editors of DeafRead to make a stand editorially. This is a powerful influence for good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Saunière,

Tayler and I are listening to DeafRead visitors and are taking all the comments into serious consideration. The conference last week was a big help for us as well!

We will be taking steps to improve DeafRead. The final details need to be hammered out. Stay tuned for our announcement.

Thanks for expressing your feelings about DeafRead. The site has grown beyond our expectations and we need to address the growing pains. We are honored to see that there are many DeafRead fans who care deeply about the site and want to see the site continue to be a success.

Anonymous said...

As a relatively new reader to DeafRead (mid-December), I liked what I saw on here. For the first time in five and half years, I found a place where I thought I could make some long lasting commitment with a community.

It saddens to me to see the state of DeafRead is going through. What I realized that could work is that we create one or two more buttons under: All, Blogs, Vlogs, and Extras. Maybe one could be designated for topics relating to Cochlear implants (and their success stories and the like dealing with sounds.) Perhaps the title could be "New Sounds" or something along that line, maybe something more politically correct than that, I don't know.

A second button could be for all things related to ASL or ones who do not speak, or maybe related to 'culturally Deaf' though that line is kind of blurry. Maybe if the editors and a poll/survey for all people on DeafRead.com and see how to correctly define the term, Culturally Deaf.

I feel the same way that I am getting sick of seeing success stories that is totally flat and I tend to tune out b/vlogs that deals with cochlear implants. So I think this type of category would be really beneficial to everyone else.

The tag system under each aggregated entries is all and good, but I think the intended use for that is for past entries and not getting the current and new entries. That is where the buttons filtering the "New Sounds" and "Culturally Deaf" entries would work rather well. Not to say that the titles I've given should be used, but yeah.

As for the whole thing with name calling and what not... I think there should be some sort of a rule where it is the blogger/vlogger's responsibility in watching their comments and prevent a flame war from breaking out. If the rule is not abided by, then by all means, not show any future entries on DeafRead until the b/blogger regains control.

As for the whole thing with neutrality of the editors, I understand that no one could ever be neutral, and in fact, can harm people when the neutrality is gone and its colors show through through some sort of an incident.

As for any rouge commenters or b/vloggers that are being militant, same thing applies to the above mentioned rule, and some sort of action should be taken.

I hope my ideas have been beneficial in some ways to the community on DeafRead.

Anonymous said...

I'd hate to be on the committee of Deafread. I for one am thankful for this service. It is a great place and I've learned so much. Since I live in a very small town of Deaf adults (there are 5) I use this as my social outlet. Seeing sign language daily is great for me.

The growing pains could never have prepared you for the cultural issues that have been going on. There is no way a Pepsi commercial enrage could have been foreseen or thought out.

I suppose if you feel you belong in a Deaf community wouldn't you want to embrace those that feel the same. We can have different opinions, but the one common factor is that we embrace Deafness. Otherwise why not create CIread?

I think a Deaf community consists of one that "feels to belong" and if you belong, chances are you are not going to be bashing those of us that use sign language. People can belong regardless if you have a CI or are hearing for that matter. I feel very Deaf as a CODA. It's my heart and emotions that embrace and celebrate our Deaf culture. Someone that is opposed to Deafness isn't really part of the Deaf community.

Good luck Deafread committee!

Saunière said...

It's neat to see a wide variety of people saying essentially the same thing. Thank you! Codadiva, I think you're right - we embrace our being Deaf, even if we're audiologically hearing, use technology to hear, or whatever. Rini, your comments were moving. You're part of the community for sure. Some of you had interesting ideas for the DeafRead editors. Thanks for sharing!

One person is wondering why his comments are not appearing. I'm not interested in getting into an argument, so this will be my last word on the topic. The type of comments that can appear on this entry are clearly spelled out in the last paragraph. The comment did not fit the guidelines. It's nothing personal. In fact, I don't even know the guy.

By the way, it's sad that a few people appear to think that people who want a strong Deaf center advocate brainwashing or groupthink, when that's so far from the truth.

Jared, thank you for letting me know that a solution is in the works. I don't envy you two, and you both have my respect. Thanks for all that you do.

Kim said...

While I have no problem reading different perspectives, its important for all of us to remember we're in a mixed community and to respect each others' diverse views. I'm here to learn--REALLY-- I want to know what y'all think!! :-) It would be boring for me to read ONLY about late-deafened people with hearing aids and implants. I've already learned so much from y'all in Deaf culture. I tend to skip over a lot of the CI success stories because I already know they can be successful. The CI isn't for me.

I read DeafRead like the newspaper-- pick out what I'm interested in, read it, and skip the rest. I watch the captioned vlogs because I'm learning ASL. I wish more would caption or at least transcribe better. It's your choice. As I said, I'm here to learn about Deaf culture, not hearing.

Kim :-)